Transitioning to UCF

Did you use accommodations in high school and are transferring to UCF? Learn more below about what may be similar and different.

K – 12 Accommodations

Students seeking accommodations at UCF sometimes previously received accommodations in their K-12 education through an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 plan. These plans are supported by their respective educational laws, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Subpart D. They can include services and modifications, in addition to accommodations, and are typically created to ensure successful graduation.

While these documents can offer some historical disability and accommodation information, the listed accommodations will not automatically apply at UCF or another higher education setting.

Classroom with students smiling and professor off to the side.

Higher Education Accommodations

Higher education is governed by different laws than K-12 education. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Subpart E outline the university’s equal access responsibilities. Generally, institutions of higher education provide reasonable accommodations to ensure that students have equal access to their education compared to their nondisabled peers, rather than ensuring academic success. The responsibility for learning and successfully meeting academic requirements falls on the student with or without accommodations.


Please see the below document for more information on the differences between high school and college accommodations. The U.S. Department of Education also provides helpful information on their website: Preparing for Postsecondary Education.

Accommodation Process Differences